Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
The above picture represents the end result of me baking three different batches of salted chocolate chip cookies over a period of a week. Yes one week! Thankfully we didn't eat them all ourselves as we had people over for dinner and I dutifully brought them with me to potlucks, work meetings and get-togethers. Back in November, I was on a search for a chewy salted chocolate chip cookie that has a slightly crispy outside.
|Two different cookies, two different recipes.|
I tried various butter to sugar ratios, different sugar amounts, sugar-butter whipping methods, baking soda vs. baking powder and even baking times. I charted everything!
The recipe of the cookie that I am most happy with is depicted visually step-by-step below. Let me know in the comments below if you have a particular chocolate chip cookie that you enjoy and why.
Beyond Umami's Chewy Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chip or chocolate chunks chopped
- good quality salt for topping
- Measure all the ingredients. Combine white sugar, turbinado sugar and brown sugar together. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Place butter and sugars into the bowl of a standup mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Cream butter and sugars together on medium-high speed for 10 minutes. It should look very fluffy.
- Add in the egg and continue mixing with the paddle attachment. Once the egg is incorporated, add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, salt mixture with the standup mixer running on low. Once all the flour is in the mixer turn the mixer back up to medium (~6)
- This is what the cookie batter should look like.
- Turn the mixer off and remove from stand. Fold in the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks with a spatula.
- Once all the chocolate is mixed into the dough, measure out 20g balls of dough with a scale. This helps to make consistent size cookies that will all bake at the same time. Flatten each ball of dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Top with a good quality salt. In the picture below I used pyramid salt crystals.
Bake at 375F for 12-13 minutes. They should be slightly browned on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. Transfer to a baking rack to cool or pop one into your mouth for immediate taste testing.
Let me know if you try making them and what you like in a good cookie.