Step by Step Strawberry Balsamic Macaron Recipe Using Pierre Herme's (Italian) Method
|Strawberry Balsamic Macarons made with the Italian method.|
I actually ended up baking macarons for an entire week. One batch using Pierre Herme's, another using Thomas Keller's and a final one using my "tried, tested & true" french meringue method. This post will be based on the recipe from Pierre Herme's book with the following posts on my other experiments and testing!
|Strawberry-Balsamic Macarons sitting pretty.|
Strawberry Balsamic Macarons Recipe - Based on Pierre Herme's Italian MethodIngredients for Macaron Shells (Italian Method)
- 150g Almond Meal
- 150g Powdered Sugar
- 55g Egg Whites (to be mixed into dry ingredients)
- 55g Egg Whites (place in bowl of mixer)
- 150g Granulated Fine Sugar
- 38g Water
- Using a scale measure out all the ingredients. Remember to set aside 55g of egg whites for mixing into the dry ingredients and to place the other 55g of egg whites into the bowl of the mixture.
|Scale to weigh all ingredients to the exact gram.|
|Here are the egg whites, granulated sugar and water measured out.|
|Measure and weighed powdered sugar, almond meal and egg whites.|
|Process almond meal and powered sugar together.|
3. Sift together the almond meal and the powdered sugar. If there are any larger chunks left over, process it again in the processor.
|Processed and sifted almond meal and powdered sugar.|
|After sifting the powdered sugar and almond meal, pour coloured egg whites on top.|
|Getting ready for the hot syrup - take a heavy bottomed pot, measured out superfine sugar|
|Set the heavy bottom pot on the stove to medium-high. Allow the water-sugar solution to reach 118C.|
|Sugar-Water solution boiling away and egg whites whisking in mixer.|
|Hot syrup poured into egg whites and forming a meringue.|
|Meringue folded into the almond meal-processed sugar mixture.|
|Mixing the meringue into the dry ingredients.|
|Mix until the mixture looks glossy and resembles runny cake batter.|
12. Transfer batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle (I use piping tip A1).
|Transferring batter to piping bag.|
|One of the tricks I use: Since I'm often baking macarons myself, I prop up the piping bag in a clear|
container so it makes the transferring of the batter much easier.
13. Line your thicker baking trays with silicon mats and pipe rounds about 2-3 cm in diameter or 3-5 cm (depending on how big you want them), spacing them approximately 2 cm apart. If you are in need of a template, try this template. When you are done piping, you will notice that each macaron shell has a little top to it.
|Freshly piped macaron shells.|
|Macaron shells resting for 30-45 minutes before being baked.|
|Finished macarons baked in a regular oven at 260F for 20 minutes using the Italian meringue method.|
Strawberry-Balsamic Buttercream Recipe
- 80g Caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 25g water
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 160g soft butter (cut into cubes then whisked)
- handful of hulled strawberries (less than a cup)
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp balsamic
1. Wash and hull the strawberries.
|Handful of washed and hulled fresh strawberries.|
|Strawberries macerating with sugar and lemon juice.|
3. Pour the 80g of superfine or granulated sugar and water into a heavy bottom pot. Bring the mixture to a boil at 250F (120C).
|Bringing the sugar and water to a boil. |
Use a candy thermometer to check the temperature.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the egg and egg yolk together until it lightens in colour.
|Whisked egg yolk and egg.|
|Processed strawberries being strained.|
7. With a hand mixer, cream then whisk the butter until it has thickened. Add by the tablespoons to the strawberry buttercream mixture.
|Strawberry Balsamic Buttercream|
9. Assembly the macarons by putting the top gently on the buttercream, pressing down and twisting slightly to the right.
|Visual comparison of macarons baked on a silicon mat versus parchment paper.|
Slightly more uneven macaron shells for macarons baked on parchment.
|Strawberry Balsamic Macarons with fresh strawberry buttercream.|