Quick and Easy Step By Step Homemade Tortillas
Homemade Tortillas are a great go-to meal for days where you have many random items in the fridge that could only be used for a stir fry. To start, make a stir fry with whatever items you may have in the fridge. Then, prep the tortillas.
Ingredients for Making Corn Tortillas (makes approximately 16 tortillas)
- 2 Cups of instant corn masa mix (I use MASECA)
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
note: you can find MASECA (instant corn masa mix) at your local Superstore or online in bulk!
1. Make the filling that you want for your tortillas. Here I made a stirfry of chicken, red peppers, tomatoes and onions.
2. Combine two cups of the instant corn masa mix, salt, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes to form a soft dough. If the dough feels dry, add more water (approx. one tablespoon at a time). Divide dough into 16 equal balls. Cover all the balls with a damp cloth to keep the dough moist. Place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom, then your ball of dough, then another piece of parchment paper. Taking a flat bottom pan press the ball until flat. Gently peel of the parchment paper.
3. Preheat a skillet (I used a cast iron pan) on medium-high heat.
4. Cook tortillas on the pan for approximately 50 seconds on each side.
5. Place cooked tortillas in a stack, and cover with a kitchen cloth in order to keep it soft and warm. I used a brie baker to keep the tortillas warm and wrapped a kitchen towel around it to keep the tortillas warm.
6. Prepare the rest of your fillings such as butter lettuce, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes and lime.