These are super delicious and you can choose to put whatever filling you want inside. The first time I made these we filled it with fresh blueberries. Wheel Cakes are a street food dish often found in Tawian and other parts of Asia. There are often a variety of different fillings but red bean is the most popular.
|Ingredients for the Red Bean Taiwan Wheel Cake with the Nordic Ware|
Eggs Plus Pan and the prep bowls.
Red Bean Taiwan Wheel Cake Recipe
Yield: 6 Red Bean Wheel Cakes
- 3 Large Eggs (160g)
- 1.5 Cups of Milk (320ml)
- 3 oz of Melted Butter (80g)
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
- 1.75 Cups of Flour (320g)
- 2 Tbsp of Sugar
- 2 Tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Salt
- Pack of Red Bean Paste
- Combine the Wet Ingredients and whisk until they are combined. Then combine/sift the dry ingredients. Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth and transfer to a measuring cup with a spout. Place the Nordic Ware Eggs Plus Pan on the largest burner on your stove and set the temperature to medium heat.
- Brush oil into each cup.
- When the pan is warm-hot pour the batter about half way up the cup.
- Wait 90 seconds and put 1 scoop of red bean in the middle of the batter of two of the cups.
- Wait another 1-2 minutes for the non filled batter to cook most of the way through - the top should not be liquid, just slightly runny.
- Flip the non filled half onto the top of the one that is filled.
- Press down lightly so that the two halves join together.
- Wait 1-2 minutes for the wheel cake to continue cooking.
- Flip the entire cake and cook on the other side for another minute.
- Take the wheel cake out of the pan and place it on a cooling rack or serve immediately.
Overall, the Nordic Ware Eggs Plus Pan demonstrated even heating throughout as can be seen in the picture above. The non-stick surface made it really easy to pop the wheel cakes out, and no additional oil was even needed before putting in more batter. I also did use the pan for making crustless quiches which I'll blog in another post.
I am so happy to see how amazing these Taiwan Wheel Cakes turned out! Which filling would you put in these Taiwan Wheel Cakes? Share your thoughts below or if you make this recipe let me know in the comments below.