These mushroom looking potatoes can be created from any type of baby potatoes and would be perfect for a quick breakfast or as a side dish for dinner.
Carving the Potato Mushrooms
- Wash and dry the baby potatoes. You can leave the skin on for these potatoes. First make a small cut down one side of the potato. Turn the potato and make another parallel cut (2nd cut). Next, turn the potato again and make a 3rd cut (this will be perpendicular to the first cuts). Make another cut slightly away for the 4th cut but parallel to the 3rd cut.
- Then, gently run your knife around the base of the cuts to create the stem of your potato mushroom.
- Here is the final result!
- We also made a quick video to help demonstrate the creation of these potato mushrooms. This might be easier to visualize.
Cooking the Potato Mushrooms
- Place the cut potato mushrooms including the square bits (your potato hash) into a bowl. I poured a tablespoon or two of some rosemary olive oil that I had made this summer and mixed it into the potatoes along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook the seasoned potato mushrooms in a cast iron pan or bake them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve your potato mushrooms along with your choice of breakfast or brunch food items or as a side dish for dinner.