Not sure about you, but this is the time of the year where I am looking for quick easy ways to make my lunch. Lately, I have been making this combination for my lunches. Just a simple cranberry spinach buckwheat salad.
I actually had never seen buckwheat groats before until my mother in law gave us a bag. At the time, Dan and I were trying (still experimenting) on making buckwheat noodles so she thought this would help. It turns out that the buckwheat groats are super easy to cook (sort of like cooking rice) and once it has cooled down I mixed in olive oil and dried cranberries.
You can likely do whatever combination of toppings you want in your salad! In this one I decided to add in some sliced tomatoes, halved walnuts and provolone cheese. Colourful and healthy! Then, to keep it super simple the dressing is equal parts balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey.
Cranberry Spinach Buckwheat Salad
1. Mix 3/4 cup of cooked buckwheat groats with 1 tsp olive oil and 3 tsps dried cranberries.
2. Slice half a tomato, 20g of garlic smoked turkey, and 10g of sliced provolone cheese.
3. Place 3/4 cup of spinach leaves into the larger container. Top with walnuts and provolone cheese.
4. Place tomatoes, garlic smoked turkey and the cooked buckwheat groats into the compartments of your salad container.
5. Mix 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp honey into the salad dressing container.
Do you have any favourite go-to salads around this time of the year? Let me know in the comments below or tweet, instagram or facebook me.