Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
I have been slowly playing around with the slow cooker function on my Instant Pot and have been cooking various versions of Chicken Teriyaki. This is also because the bone in chicken thighs have been a good price! After you slow cook the chicken, you can choose to just reduce the sauce and serve as is or for extra flavour take out the chicken thighs and bake them!
I put all my ingredients together into the Instant Pot the night before; hence the many hours of slow cooking.
Ingredients for Chicken Teriyaki
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 8 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp sliced ginger
- 2/3 cup Sake
- 2/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 2/3 cup Mirin
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 18-20 bone in chicken thighs
- 3 tsp cornstarch mixed with water (for reducing the sauce)
*I have used the club pack from Superstore or the one from Wholesale Club
Directions for Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
- Turn on the "Saute" function on the Instant Pot. Add a tablespoon of oil and ensure that the bottom is evenly coated.
- Add in the minced garlic and saute until the garlic starts to brown. Stir in the sliced ginger.
- Pour in the 2/3 cup of sake. Allow the sake to boil off as you stir the garlic; approximately 30 seconds.
- Stir in the soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, sugar and honey until it is all incorporated. You can adjust the sweetness level here as needed.
- Add in the chicken thighs. Push them down until the top layer of chicken is mostly covered with the sauce.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot, turn the vent to the "vent" position.
- Turn on the "Slow Cook" function and slow cook for a minimum of 8 hours. If I am prepping the recipe the night before, I usually just have it slow cook for 14 hours so it will be continue to slow cook the next day as well.
- 8 hours later, open the lid to check on the chicken. Turn the top pieces over so that they can also cook in the liquid.
- When the chicken is done slow cooking, open the lid and carefully pour out all the liquid into a large pot. Turn the heat onto medium-high. Mix the 3 tsp of cornstarch with a bit of water. Once the sauce begins to boil pour in the cornstarch mixture. This will help to thicken the sauce a bit. Reduce the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is reducing, preheat the oven to 450F.
- Place the chicken pieces onto a baking sheet. Ladle sauce onto each of the chicken pieces. Bake at 450F for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired before serving. Serve the remaining sauce with the chicken while eating with rice or quinoa.