While planning for this baby shower, I found that Bulk Barn (with one located at South Edmonton Commons) came in handy, especially when you want variety and a small amount of different coloured sprinkles, candy and even butter cream! Here are some of our creations.
Chocolate Cupcake - makes approximately 16 standards or 12 standard and 12 mini cupcakes
1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 a cup).
2 large eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light & fluffy (~ 3 minutes).
- Prepare double boiler to melt chocolate (heat water in a pot and in a melt chocolate in a bowl on top).
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk in batches beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until almost blended.
- Stir in Vanilla.
- if desired to prevent air pockets Spoon half of the batter into a ziplock bag. Snip a corner from the bag and fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full. Repeat with rest of the batter.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcake from the baking pan, place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
Adapted from Hello, Cupcake! by Karen Tack & Alan Richardson