I brought some of these to a work potluck and they were very well received! So, here is the recipe as even those that don't bake can make these creations!
- 2 Cups of fresh (never frozen) Cranberries
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 Cup + 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Create the simple syrup by pouring water and 1 Cup of sugar into small pot. Add lemon zest to pot. This will will help add more dimension to the flavour. Heat mixture until sugar has dissolved into boiling water.
- Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Add cranberries to the simple syrup.
- Cool the cranberries in the syrup until room temperature. Put cranberries and syrup into air-tight container. Rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours (2 days).
- Strain cranberries out from syrup - this same syrup can be reheated and reused again. Let cranberries dry for about 5 minutes.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons of sugar into a small dry cup. Placing one cranberry in at a time, roll the cranberry in the dry sugar. If you add too many cranberries at once you'll get clumping.
- Keep the candied cranberries in an air-tight container in the fridge. It should keep for a few days in the fridge before getting soft. Alternatively, you can package them off as gifts in an air-tight container.